Friday, September 9, 2011

September 9: The Threatening First-Year

Two students walk in together and approach the desk and want to know everything about waiving out of the Professional Development class. Everytime I start to mention a qualification needed: "Four years full-time work" I am cut off by their simultaneous "Yes" impatiently not wanting to hear any more, and tapping their feet, waiting to bolt. The PD waiver forms are snatched from my hands as soon as I am holding them up, and they are out the door.

In an almost unbelievable turn of events, they come back in after no more than 15 minutes have passed. Begrudgingly they each say they will just take the course, and start pulling out $20 bills to buy the books. As I am writing out a receipt for the boy he is talking to me.

"Yeah, I'm just going to take it. It better be good."

It was said without a laugh, and told to me. I may have paused in writing the receipt, but I didn't look up. I didn't chuckle or throw him a smile to diffuse what he had just said. What the hell does that even mean? It better be good-- or what? What's his definition of good? If we don't meet it, do we owe him something? And what do I, here at the front desk, know about the class and what the hell do I owe him?















Man I hope that class was good enough for him. Must've been, he's the classic example of someone who needs professional development.

No comments:

Post a Comment