Wednesday, January 9, 2013

January 9: The Guy Who Gave $10 To Subway Performers

I'm all for the arts, but sometimes I get annoyed with the subway performers in New York. I mean, every moment, every day, every one is always trying to fill every facial orifice you have... trying to shove things in your ears, your nose, down your throat. Sometimes I just want to stand in the aisle and listen to my own music! But you have to move out of the way and they're too loud to ignore.

So after shopping at Trader Joe's, I was on the express train from 72nd Street down to Times Square when three kids came on and put on a ghetto blaster, clapping and flipping away. I edged to the door and toed my bag of groceries closer to me, and sat thinking in my head. To be honest, they weren't the best I had ever seen or heard, and no one seemed particularly enthused.


I was surprised when, upon the usual finale ("Thank you ladies and gentlemen, God bless, any donations appreciated and we wish you pleasant travels!") a man across from me, an older man looking monotonous and bored with a job that required a photo security badge that was still strung on his belt loop, started clapping and smiling. When the young kid came around, the man held out and gave him... A $10 BILL.

I've never seen anyone give more than $3, and never in bigger denominations that $1 bills, and even that was a stretch. Usually it was the silver change left in overcoats or jeans pockets. But oh, I wouldn't mistake the sepia tone of that $10 bill for anything. I must have been gaping because he looked at me and we made eye contact and he shrugged.

Like I said, I'm all for the arts, but not sure I'd be enough to drop a $10 bill. At least not in this state. But it was nice to see the generosity for something that really made his day.

No comments:

Post a Comment