Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 1: The Shockingly Friendly Waitress

New Year's Day. It all begins with a sense of the past, with memories of a lively or disappointing night, with drumming hopes of a sustainable, or better, year ahead, and the metropolitan world is bleary-eyed and tired with champagne hangovers. So who the hell wants to work on January 1st?

Not me. And I'm thankful that I don't. But there are some people that do, and ultimately I pity them and step kindly. I wouldn't judge them if they were in a bad mood or less than pleasant towards me. So imagine my surprise when I was a patron at a Mexican restaurant in San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter this Tuesday evening and the waitress was unbelievably nice.



Maybe you need more information. I wasn't just a patron there. I was one part of a two-person couple, the leg-holding, neck-kissing kind that was sitting on the same side of the booth, lingering long past we had ordered anything at all and had to be the subject of someone's conversation in that state. I had no mind to leave, but I do possess some sense of courtesy and was paranoid about being selfish, rude or ignorant and kept thinking we should leave the table, but I also just couldn't bring myself to move or suggest we leave. I was trembling at the thought of moving, and trembling at the thought of being inconsiderate. Stalemate.

I still can't remember her name, but that nice waitress came to our table and just wanted to make sure that she wasn't ignoring us. I told her that no, we were the ones being rude, and she said absolutely not, they had plenty of space and not to worry and to relax and take our time. Would you be that nice to an annoying couple on January 1st?

Maybe this is normal. Maybe it's not noteworthy or seems so casual and every day. But I've got to tell you; it was New Year's Day (Night), I was hours away from a long separation that was gnawing at my nerves, and every moment I had to stay put and be in the company I was, was crucial. She was a godsend of a character in my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment